Reasons to Support Us
- While Limited Assortment Discounters such as Lidl have become an increasingly popular destination for food shopping, there is currently a gap in provision north of the city centre. For residents in The Polygon, Inner Avenue, Portswood, St Denys and Highfield areas of the city the only Limited Assortment Discount foodstore is a single Aldi on Bevois Valley Road. The new Lidl will therefore provide a qualitative improvement in food shopping, providing increased choice and competition and will reduce the need to travel to stores further afield across the city;
- The site is brownfield land that has been in intensive use for car sales and repairs for many decades, and the new Lidl will be a more attractive development, that will provide greater choice and competition in local food shopping and create 40 new jobs;
- The development of the foodstore on this site accords with the National Planning Policy Framework which supports sustainable economic development;
- The new store will improve choice and promote competition with up to 30% cost savings;
- Lidl stock a variety of unique product lines which are not available from other mainstream retailers; and
- Lidl is the highest performing supermarket in the UK with 80% of its British fresh produce bearing the Red Tractor logo¹, so you can be assured that you are buying British.
- The proposed development will provide a high quality, contemporary building, built to Lidl’s brand new specification; and
- The modern building will provide a light, spacious sales area, with full height glazing to the southern elevation facing Banister Road, and will be constructed using high quality materials.
- Sustainable construction techniques will be employed as well as the use of sustainable materials;
- Lidl operate a highly energy efficient business with a strong commitment to recycling and the use of energy efficient equipment and techniques within the store to reduce carbon emissions; and
- The store will serve a residential catchment as well as travellers entering and leaving the city along the A33, and will be accessible by a choice of modes of transport.